Dry cough is not a disease, rather it can be an after effect or a cause of a disease; hence, having a good understanding about dry cough remedy is of utmost importance in order to avoid any unpleasant situation. A dry cough is non productive i.e. it does not create any phlegm or mucus, apart from creating unwanted irritation in the chest, so it is best to suppress this kind of cough (as against a wet cough). Although quite frustrating, but a cough mainly acts as a protective reflex to help the human body get rid of foreign agents, mucus or various irritants like dust or pollen. But if coughing persists for a longer period of time, the cause may be a virus or infection and such a condition requires immediate attention.
What are the Causes?
- Whenever an infection like cold, flu or sinus reaches a stage of termination, it might give way to coughing. This is because, as a result of infection the throat as well as upper airways experience some sort of inflammation and in an attempt to remove this irritation, dry cough is produced.
- Coughing may also occur as a result of exposure to various irritants such as dust, smoke, pets, cleaning agents, perfumes and deodorants, pollen or chemical fumes.
- Apart from this, other commonly found causes of coughs may include allergies and asthma or tobacco smoking.
Although, more commonly, coughing is an after effect, but in some cases it can even become a symptom of a serious illness like pneumonia, bronchitis or sinusitis. Hence, whenever you start getting symptoms like a sore throat accompanied by persistent, dry coughing, try an easily available home remedy for dry cough or if you want fast relief, you can take a cough syrup. But if the coughing still persists for more than 3 weeks then you must consult a doctor.
Different Types of Dry Cough Remedies
Although the dry cough itself is not dangerous but constant coughing may damage your throat and can be a very painful experience, hence it is advisable to take appropriate Dry Cough Prevention measures. An ideal dry cough remedy can be home based or in the form of prescription drugs. Does not matter which remedies you use; what makes a difference is whether it suits you or not. This is because there are some people who are allergic to antibiotics, so for them a natural remedy to get rid of dry cough will be the only solution. On the other hand, someone who does not have the patience to wait for a natural treatment to show results should ideally go for medically prescribed drugs.
Home Based and Natural Dry Cough Remedies
Coughs can be treated effectively by following either a home based remedy or by making use of natural medicines.
- Home based remedies like chewing a fresh ginger piece with sprinkled salt or taking grape juice mixed with honey are some of the simplest remedies which make use of ingredients that are readily available in a household kitchen. Apart from this, gargling with lukewarm water mixed with salt approximately 2-3 times in a day, drinking lots of warm water and taking in vaporized steam; all will work wonders to soothe your throat.
- On the other hand, when cough is caused by an allergy or nasal irritants, then natural remedy is preferred over OTC drugs (which can cause side effects in many people, ranging from hand tremors to feelings of anxiety and rebound congestion). A natural dry cough remedy includes treating persistent cough with healing herbs, vitamins and minerals as well as homeopathic medicines.
Over the Counter and Prescription Drugs
Dry cough, which does not produce any mucus or phlegm, can be effectively treated by a cough suppressant. The main function of these cough suppressants is to block the cough reflex, thus providing instant relief. Some of the drugs have a sleep inducing effect and provide symptomatic relief, but they must be taken with a lot of caution as their overdose may cause some serious problems. The most commonly used cough suppressants are Dextromethorphan, Codeine, etc. One can even obtain relief from tickling cough by sucking cough lozenges. Although, a prescription dry cough remedy provides instant relief from the annoying cough, it has a tendency to produce many side effects as well, especially in people who are allergic to antibiotics. Hence, it is always advisable to take these drugs under the proper supervision of a medical practitioner.
Although dry cough is not a serious ailment, it surely has the potential to give rise to some chronic and life threatening diseases, hence it must be taken care of at the right time. So, next time when you are in an important business meeting, do not let yourself get embarrassed by drawing everyone’s attention towards your plight. Make use of an appropriate dry cough remedy to make that nagging and irritating cough vanish within no time.